Friday, April 30, 2010

Jour 4470:Let's have a revolution

I've always heard scary stories about journalism and public relations ethics class. Whether it was the amount of things to memorize or the unreal amount of writing that must be done, I entered this class scared and anxious of the outcome. What happens if ethics is over my head? How will I last through an entire semester? From then and now, I can honestly say I have experienced a wonderful whirlwind of changes. My personal growth has been developed, and I find myself viewing public relations in a new light.

I personally believe that we are all born with an innate sense of right and wrong; our conscience. What happens when a certain situation calls for an ethical decision that tears these principles apart? What if one thing that is right for one person is wrong for the next?

The most beneficial thing for me in this class is examining the Beech-Nut case study, and applying each ethical theory directly to the case. This example allowed me to fully grasp each theory and examine their pros and cons. I would think of myself as more deontological than teleological, yet when I saw the deontological theories be put to the test I saw that it wasn't always the best solution.

I didn't realize how much I had to learn about the world of public relations. By becoming the ethical conscience of a business or organization, you are responsible for the appearance of your company in the public's eye. I had no idea the public relations department is capable of influencing the entire company, externally and internally. Not only does the public relations department act as the voice of a company, but also it serves as the internal thinking machine.

This class has allowed me to view the world in a new light. There are always various solutions to any conflict, but choosing the right solution for your organization is no easy task. Methods like the Potter's Box and Spiral of Decision help to direct you in the right direction.

This class is vital for my personal growth, and I am so thankful that I was able to grow and learn more about the world I will work in and myself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is interesting, but I wonder if we really are born with a sense of right and wrong. Babies will do all sorts of horrible things (maybe they're not as bad as killing someone, but things such as hitting) and have to be punished so they can learn that what they did is wrong. I think right and wrong is influenced by our parents, our religious (or non-religious) upbringing, what we have to do for survival, etc. But I would be totally interested to find out if any studies have been conducted on this! I guess it goes back to the ol' nature vs. nurture argument.

Kara Fordyce said...

Emily, I have to say I am always impressed by the clarity and conciseness of what you write in these blog posts. I agree with you that we are born with some kind of sense of right or wrong. This vague sense we gain from mostly our parents and friends while growing up is the foundation of our ethical beliefs. As we have our own experiences, we add different dimensions to the moral compass. Well done on your blogs and best of luck after graduation!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is so cute! I really liked what you wrote and I wish you the best after graduation :)

Anonymous said...

Emily, I too have questioned what if my personal ethics don't always present the best situation. I know that what I know is right and wrong (and I know you share the same beliefs) is not always the best option to use in a professional setting. However, I think this class and the different models we learned will help us to make the correct decisions for companies.